Other Expenses

Other Financial Considerations

Following are other possible expenses or financial considerations that parents/students should consider when studying at TCWA and living in Australia. Much of this information is a guide only.

  • Student Visa

    International students will be required to obtain a Student Visa to study in Australia. The visa processing charge, payable to the Australian Government. As part of the visa process, students may be required to have a medical check with an Australian Government authorised doctor.

  • Health Cover

    All student visa holders are required to have adequate health insurance while they are in Australia. The insurance must commence from the date the student arrives in Australia on their student visa and must be in effect until the student leaves Australia or moves to a non-student visa subclass. If a student visa holder is in Australia and does not hold health insurance, they are in breach of visa condition 8501, even if their course has not yet started.

    Exceptions: New Zealander, Belgian, Norwegian and Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements.

    Which insurers offer OSHC?

    Students can choose to arrange their OSHC from the following list of providers: 

    BUPA Australia – www.overseasstudenthealth.com
    Medibank Private – www.medibank.com.au
    Allianz Global Assistance – www.oshcworldcare.com.au
    nib OSHC – www.nib.com.au
    Australian Health Management – www.ahm.com.au

    If you are studying at more than one educational provider you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately, or the policy length is sufficient to cover all courses while you are on a student visa.

    Proof of insurance:Students must be able to provide a copy of the policy when lodging a visa application.

  • General Living Expenses

    Students will also incur expenses such as:

    • Transport costs to and from college or to their workplace.
    • Accommodation.
    • Meals.
    • Taxation.
    • Personal expenses.
    • Entertainment expenses.
    • Personal mobile phone cost will vary according to the provider and option selected.
    • Additional stationery & photocopying.

    These expenses will vary widely depending on location.  When in Australia, students need to budget for the upfront costs that are incurred when organising rental accommodation. These costs include bond and connections for telephone, gas, water and electricity.

  • Student Discount

    TCWA students are issued with a student identification card which entitles them to full student discount in Western Australia, providing significant discounts on public transport, cinema tickets and more.

  • Computers

    A networked printer is also available for student use. Desktop computers are available in the computer labs throughout the campus. students are free to come and use the facilities at the TCWA anytime.

Translate »